- 617 Sqn RAF Travel Mug
- 617 Sqn is one of the most famous of the Royal Air Force Squadrons
- Initially formed in 1943 under the command of Wing Commander Guy Gibson, it was tasked with the destruction of the Möhne, Sorpe and Edersee Dams in the Ruhr, under the codename Operation Chastise.
- The raid was conducted using modified Lancaster Bombers, and the Squadron has since then flown the Canberra, Vulcan and Tornado, and are now the first Squadron to fly the F35B, Lightning. This is probably the most sophisticated warplane in the world.
- This year, 2021, marks the 100th birthday of the last remaining, original 617 Squadron member – a real Dambuster – Sqn Ldr Johnny Johnson.
- Of all the dams; Möhne, Eder and the Sorpe, the Sorpe was of different construction and required Johnny to direct The pilot and Captain, Flight Lieutenant J C McCarthy, to re-run 10 Times before he was confident enough to release Barnes Wallis’ ‘Bouncing Bomb’.
- For this Johnson was awarded the Distinguished Flying Medal (DFM)
- We support those that take care of this fine man and hero – The Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund
- The RAF Benevolent Fund is holding a commemorative Cycle ride to remember those that carried out the raid, and to raise funds. Dambusters | RAF Benevolent Fund (rafbf.org)
- The ideal gift for serving personnel and veterans and everyone that likes to honour those that served.
617 Sqn RAF Travel Mug
Available on back-order